Friday, February 01, 2008

Isn't it So Unfair....

I just read a news report on the net that the American Food and Drug Administration found out that Epilepsy Drugs may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior. Two drugs mentioned in the study were Tegretol and Depakote. I had been on these drugs for a time.

I still clearly remember how I felt when I was on these drugs. I was taking these during my manic pariods. I had to shift to other drugs since they were wreaking havoc on my mind and my actions. I still remember turning violent one time when I was on Depakote. Tegretol brought me to the Edge of suicide one time. What stopped me was the thought of my son.

I find this report timely, and the drug companies so unfair. I really do not know how many people with Bipolar Disorder out there have been prescribed by their doctors with these drugs. It is a well known fact that people with Bipolar Disorder have suicidal tendencies. These drugs only serve to intensify the desire.

I hope doctors will stop prescribing anti-seizure or epilepsy drugs to those who have Bipolar Disorder. I hope doctors in the Philippines stop prescribing these drugs.

Those who have Bipolar Disorder should demand from their doctors the same.

No comments: